Table of Contents
Chicken barley soup is a variation of normal chicken soup. It is good for soul. This soup is enriched with aromas. Chicken barley soup contains small pieces of chicken in the soupy water with barley and veggies. Here a recipe of chicken barley soup is discussed with you.
Image credits: chicken barley soup by Corey seeman, lisence under CC 2.0
Chicken and barley.
Time of preparation
30 to 35 minutes
Time of cooking
45 to 50 minutes
For 5 peoples
It contains protein and carbohydrates.
Preparation of the ingredients
· Rinse the chicken breast pieces properly.
· Chop one large onion.
· Smashed cloves of garlic.
· Chop fresh ginger.
· Chop carrots and celery.
· Wash ½ cup of medium pearl barley
|Ginger||2 to 3 pieces|
|Onion||1 medium size|
|Cream cheese||2 cups|
|Carrot||2 medium size|
|Olive oil||2 tablespoon|
|Chicken||250 to 300 gm|
· In a large pot, take the chicken pieces and put 3 to 4 cups of water.
· Boil the chicken until it becomes tender.
· Separate the chicken from the pot and keep aside the prepared chicken broth.
· Remove meat from bones and again return them into the pot.
· Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in another pan and add chopped onion, carrots, celery and ginger.
· Add barley.
· Cook them for approximately 10 minutes with occasional stirring.
· Add more broth, if required.
· Add pepper over them.
· Add chicken broth containing chicken pieces.
· Cover and cook all of them for 10 to 15 minutes.
· Reduce heat and simmer.
· Thus finally chicken barley soup is ready to serve.
Variation on the recipe
· Cream and cheese can be added to this soup.
· Various types of spicy sauce one can add to make it spicy.
Tips for delicious soup making
· Use small cube chicken pieces at the time of cooking.
· Should use proper amount of chicken broth.
· Processed barley should be used to make it delicious.
The nutritional value of this soup is stated below (for 1 bowl):
Calories- 259 cal
Fat- 5 g
Carbohydrate- 22 g
Protein- 31 g
Cholesterol- 89 mg